Fauna of Mana Island
Mana Island boasts a diverse range of animals – insects, reptiles, and native sea and land-based birds. Below are a few (certainly not all) notable examples from each category.
- Cook Strait Giant Weta
- Flax Weevil: See the research report – “Beauveria pseudobassiana and the flax weevil from Mana Island”, by Travis Glare and Jenny Brookes, Bio-Protection Research Centre, Lincoln University, November 2017. See a summary story about this in the December 2017 newsletter (page 6).
- Speargrass Weevil: See the research report – “Speargrass weevil (Lyperobius huttoni) status on Mana Island February 2021“, by Colin Miskelly and Jaz Hamilton from July 2022.
- Gold Stripe Gecko
- Green Gecko
- Duvaucel’s Gecko
- McGregor’s Skink
- Pakahā / Fluttering Shearwater
- Tākapu / Gannets
- Kuaka / Diving Petrel
- Kororā / Little Blue Penguins
- Titi Wainui / Fairy Prion